9.4 release planning (& GHCJS merge process)

Hécate hecate at glitchbra.in
Tue Feb 22 19:33:54 UTC 2022

Hi Matthew, thank you for this update and the other one regarding your team.

I have multiple questions regarding the release:

1. Could a migration guide be provided? Or better, a script/tool? From
what I understand, going from 9.2 to 9.4 means breaking changes have
been introduced.

2. The 8.10 series has gained a status of LTS amongst industrial users,
thanks to both the numerous backports but also the wider support in the
ecosystem. Could you please clarify whether or not it will still be an
LTS after this release, and the status of 9.0 and 9.2 (which have
brought numerous new things themselves but seem to have been quickly
replaced by the next release each time). It's quite confusing, and when
the question arises in professional circles, a (seemingly) valid answer
that is brought up is "We can wait 6 more months and have a breaking
release that will force us to migrate painfully, let's not move yet".

3. From what I can see in the "Likely highlights" (this phrasing is
unclear to me, you don't expect some of those changes to make it to the
release?), it is mostly an engineering release (which is great). Do you
think that the 9.4 series could benefit from the same longevity as the
8.10 did and take its place as a continuously-improved version while
Language / R&D versions of GHC are published anew?

4. There was a talk of slowing the release schedule to once a year, and
last I heard, Ben was sympathetic to it. Could you express the official
position of your team on the matter?

Again, I'd like to echo Richard's words in the other thread, thank you
and your team for all this work, this is immensely appreciated.

Cheers,
Hécate