9.4 release planning (& GHCJS merge process)

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 17:14:35 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Firstly we are anticipating branching 9.4 in about 6 weeks time
(approx start of April). Most of the major features originally
milestoned[1] for this release have landed and the main branch is
currently in a nice state. This timeline will be solidified once the
9.2.2 release has been completed.

The major outstanding work that I am aware of is

Windows toolchain work (#21019) (Ben Gamari)
Partial Register Stall (#20405) (Andreas Klebinger)
hi-haddock (!6224) (Zubin Duggal / Matthew Pickering )
Directed Coercions (!6476) (Sam Derbyshire)

Secondly, we are anticipating adding a javascript backend inspired by
GHCJS as the highlight of the 9.6 release. This work is led by the
team at IOHK.

* The planning and progress of this process is tracked on this wiki
page - https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/javascript-backend
* We anticipate reviewing and merging patches incrementally into a
feature branch until the point where test coverage is suitable and the
patches can be merged into the main branch.

Cheers,

Matt

[1]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/milestones/370