Deprecating Safe Haskell, or heavily investing in it?

Hécate hecate at glitchbra.in
Tue Dec 27 17:09:59 UTC 2022

Hi everyone, and happy holidays.

I am looking into whether or not Safe Haskell is still worth maintaining.

Currently there are two sides on which Safe Haskell hurts us:

1. GHC Development
2. Library development

For point n°1: You can easily take the measure of what Safe Haskell
raises in GHC as of today by visiting the bug tracker¹ and see that for
example Unboxed Types cannot be used because their home modules
(GHC.Prim and GHC.Types) are marked as Unsafe. Moreover, interactions
between GHC2021 and Safe make the latter quite unpleasant to work with².

Regarding point n°2: Safe Haskell is badly integrated within our
existing frameworks for API compatibility. Neither the PVP nor the
extension's documentation mention compatibility, or define what stance
we should take. Thus we are bound to fight on the letter versus the
spirit of the PVP (which is not an unreasonable debate since there is no
formalism anywhere). This provokes debates without clear resolution
beyond "Friend don't let friends use {-# Safe #-}"³

Now I am not saying that Safe Haskell does not bring any kind of good
idea, far from it.

However there are two things that live inside Safe Haskell that would
benefit from being separated:

1. Strict type-safety

2. Restricted IO

A lot of the public use-cases of Safe Haskell seem to be on the
"Restricted IO", such as Lambdabot and other code evaluators out there.

It's a fairly reasonable feature, I'd even say it's something that we
should be publicising more when speaking about GHC's more advanced
features. However, "Strict type-safety" seems to be the root of many
problems that we encounter downstream. A lot of it stems from
GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving being marked as unsafe (under point 1), which
is fair enough, but we've had DerivingVia not marked as Safe until May
2021, which reveals a big problem: Options have to be marked as
forbidden under Safe to be caught, which leaves a lot of work to the
human factor of GHC development.

Now, there are two options (convenient!) that are left to us:

1. Deprecate Safe Haskell: We remove the Safe mechanism as it exists
today, and keep the IO restriction under another name. This will
certainly cause much joy amongst maintainers and GHC developers alike.
The downside is that we don't have a mechanism to enforce "Strict
type-safety" anymore.

2. We heavily invest in Safe Haskell: This is the option where we amend
the PVP to take changes of Safety annotations into account, invest in
workforce to fix the bugs on the GHC side. Which means we also invest in
the tools that check for PVP compatibility to check for Safety. This is
not the matter of a GSoC, or a 2-days hackathon, and I would certainly
have remorse sending students to the salt mines like that.

I do not list the Status Quo as an option because it is terrible and has
led us to regularly have complaints from both GHC & Ecosystem libraries
maintainers. There can be no half-measures that they usually tend to
make us slide back into the status quo.

So, what do you think?

¹
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/?label_name%5B%5D=Safe%20Haskell