Potential improvement in compacting GC

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 15:47:08 UTC 2021

Here's another improvement that fixes a very old issue in GHC's compacting GC
[1].

To summarize the problem: when untreading an object we update references to the
object that we've seen so far to the object's new location. But to get the
object's new location we need to know the object's size, because depending on
the size we may need to move the object to a new block (when the current block
does not have enough space for the object).

For this we currently walk the thread twice, once to get the info table (used
to get the size), then again to update references to the object. Ideally we
want to do just one pass when unthreading.

The solution is explained in The GC Handbook, section 3.4. Instead of using one
bit to mark an object, we use two bits: one for the first word of the object,
one for the last word. Using two bits is not a problem in GHC because heap
objects are at least 2 words. For example, an object with two words is marked
with `11`, 3 words is marked with `101` and so on.

Now we can scan the bitmap to find object size, and unthread it without having
to find the info table first.

Ömer

[1]: https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/922c6bc8dd8d089cfe4b90ec2120cb48959ba2b5/rts/sm/Compact.c#L844-L848

Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com>, 14 Tem 2021 Çar, 09:27