[ANNOUNCE] GHC 9.2.1 now available
ben at well-typed.com
Fri Oct 29 15:44:42 UTC 2021
The GHC developers are very happy to at long last announce the
availability of GHC 9.2.1. Binary distributions, source distributions,
and documentation are available at
GHC 9.2 brings a number of exciting features including:
* A native code generation backend for AArch64, significantly speeding
compilation time on ARM platforms like the Apple M1.
* Many changes in the area of records, including the new
`RecordDotSyntax` and `NoFieldSelectors` language extensions, as well
as Support for `DuplicateRecordFields` with `PatternSynonyms`.
* Introduction of the new `GHC2021` language extension set, giving
users convenient access to a larger set of language extensions which
have been long considered stable.
* Merging of `ghc-exactprint` into the GHC tree, providing
infrastructure for source-to-source program rewriting out-of-the-box.
* Introduction of a `BoxedRep` `RuntimeRep`, allowing for polymorphism
over levity of boxed objects (#17526)
* Implementation of the `UnliftedDataTypes` extension, allowing users
to define types which do not admit lazy evaluation ([proposal])
* The new [`-hi` profiling] mechanism which provides significantly
improved insight into thunk leaks.
* Support for the `ghc-debug` out-of-process heap inspection library
* Significant improvements in the bytecode interpreter, allowing more
programs to be efficently run in GHCi and Template Haskell splices.
* Support for profiling of pinned objects with the cost-centre profiler
* Faster compilation and a smaller memory footprint
* Introduction of Haddock documentation support in TemplateHaskell (#5467)
Finally, thank you to Microsoft Research, GitHub, IOHK, the Zw3rk stake
pool, Tweag I/O, Serokell, Equinix, SimSpace, and other anonymous
contributors whose on-going financial and in-kind support has
facilitated GHC maintenance and release management over the years.
Moreover, this release would not have been possible without the hundreds
of open-source contributors whose work comprise this release.
As always, do open a [ticket] if you see anything amiss.
[-hi profiling]: https://well-typed.com/blog/2021/01/first-look-at-hi-profiling-mode/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 905 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the ghc-devs