GHC and the future of Freenode

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:36:20 UTC 2021

Hi,

As one of those contributors that is already using the
Matrix-to-freenode-IRC bridge through http://element.io/, I'd prefer
moving to Matrix.
And *if* we commit to a move, I suggest we don't move to another IRC
server. That leaves Zulip vs. Matrix, both of which I'd be fine with.

For some more data points: I know that the Lean community uses Zulip and
they are pretty happy with it. The threading model seems to be pretty
useful.
On the other hand, it's so easy to open a new group chat in Matrix (and
name it whatever you want) that it is pretty much the same as opening a
new thread in Zulip.
Our chair used to communicate via IRC, too. We considered switching to
Zulip or Matrix in the past and ultimately decided in favor of Matrix,
simply because most of us were already using element.io (+ the IRC
bridge) for its mobile client and history logging.

Cheers,
Sebastian