an issue tracker for better error messages

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Thu May 13 15:55:53 UTC 2021

Hi devs,

I've just posted https://discourse.haskell.org/t/proposal-an-issue-tracker-for-better-error-messages/2498 <https://discourse.haskell.org/t/proposal-an-issue-tracker-for-better-error-messages/2498>, a description of an idea to create an issue tracker dedicated only to error messages. My hope is that the tracker is used to boil issues users have with error messages down to a concrete suggestion for a wording change -- and that only when we have that concrete suggestion will a ticket be made on the GHC tracker.

What do we think here of this idea? If you have a thought about the overall idea, I invite you to comment on Discourse; if you have a thought about GHC's response to this, this list seems like the best venue.

Thanks,
Richard