Why TcLclEnv and DsGblEnv need to store the same IORef for errors?

John Ericson john.ericson at obsidian.systems
Wed Mar 31 03:44:25 UTC 2021

Alfredo also replied to this pointing his embedding plan. I also prefer
that, because I really wish TH didn't smear together the phases so much.
Moreover, I hope with

  - GHC proposals
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/412 /
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/243

  - The parallelism work currently be planned in
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/Plan-for-increased-parallelism-and-more-detailed-intermediate-output

we might actually have an opportunity/extra motivation to do that.
Splices and quotes will still induce intricate inter-phase dependencies,
but I hope that could be mediated by the driver rather than just baked
into each phase.

(One final step would be the "stuck macros" technique of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvKoG_V_U0 /
https://github.com/gelisam/klister, where TH splices would be able to
making "blocking queries" of the the compiler in ways that induce more
of these fine-grained dependencies.)

Anyways, while we could also do a "RnTsDsError" and split later, I hope
Alfredo's alternative of embedding won't be too much harder and prepare
us for these exciting areas of exploration.

John