Why TcLclEnv and DsGblEnv need to store the same IORef for errors?

Alfredo Di Napoli alfredo.dinapoli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 14:35:51 UTC 2021

Hello folks,

Richard: as I was in the middle of some other refactoring by the time Simon
replied, you can see a potential refactoring that *doesn't* use the double
IORef, but rather this idea of having a `DsMessage` embed `TcRnMessage`(s)
via a new costructor:

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/4798/diffs#6eaba7424490cb26d74e0dab0f6fd7bc3537dca7

(Just grep for "DsMessage", "DsUnknownMessage", and `DsLiftedTcRnMessage`
to see the call sites).

The end result is not bad, I have to say. Or, at least, it doesn't
strike me as totally horrid :)

A.