GHC and the future of Freenode

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 16:19:31 UTC 2021

Re: memory usage: I get that people don't like bloated Electron clients
when they already run a browser instance, but fortunately, Element
doesn't need to be run as a standalone app (*).
Well, except when you want to search encrypted history. But then you're
out of luck with irccloud, too...

I run Element in a pinned Firefox tab, and according to its task manager
it reports 27.4MB, which is about the same for my WhatsApp tab. It's a
bit more than irccloud (about 20MB), but I also have quite a few chats
in that one tab. It's also quite a lot less than every individual MR
page of our GitLab instance (27-110MB), of which I have pinned about
5-10 at any time, so it really doesn't matter much.

Since the Matrix<->Libera.chat bridge works now, I have next to no
incentive to push for Matrix at the moment, although I still would
prefer it.
All arguments have been said, so I won't repeat them. It seems like this
discussion will go stale in time without anyone stepping up to force a
migration. Fine with me.

Sebastian