GHC and the future of Freenode

Jakub Zalewski jakzale at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:02:28 UTC 2021

On Tue Jun 15, 2021 at 3:18 PM CEST, Janek Stolarek wrote:
> Apparently, Freenode deleted all registered users and channels several
> hours ago.

I guess that should solve the problem of communities being split between
Freenode and Libera.

If I may add towards using IRC, even though it may seem archaic towards
newcomers:

- it allows them to join without registration (via web.libera.chat), and
- it allows them to use a client of their choosing (I am not aware of
  any stable Matrix clients beside Element).

>From my own experience, Electron-based clients (Element included)
consume unreasonable amounts of RAM:  Element is consuming ~700MiB of
RAM just to stay idle on my machine.  To give a fair comparison, the tab
for irccloud tends to consume ~300MiB.

--
Jakub