Potential improvement in compacting GC

YueCompl compl.yue at icloud.com
Wed Jul 14 09:28:48 UTC 2021

Greetings!

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you experts about feasibility / technology-readiness of distributed GC, that I've recently been pondering with the idea to have a distributed GC managing shared heap across multiple server nodes, those inter-connected through fast ethernet.

I'm implementing an array database system for internal use, each array is constrained to flat address space so no GC is required within one. But the number of arrays are unexpectedly large as my use cases becoming more apparent. Managing relations between those arrays (i.e. meta data) has appeared as far beyond the computational capacity of a single physical PC server (even powerful ones in today's market). We are working around this limitation by restricting meta data to be mappable to directory structure of underlying filesystem, but it's quite limiting from business perspective.

We use FUSE filesystem driver to handle fine grained data coherence control over these many small arrays, to be accessed by many concurrent client machines,  by exposing a large virtual file for mmap on each client, to efficiently leverage os kernel pages as good shared cache storage, backing multiple processes running on each client os.

I'd imagine shared heap with https://hackage.haskell.org/package/compact <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/compact> and a GC to have structural meta data managed likewise, so each client can mmap the entire shared heap, but only load relevant kernel pages on demand of the data nodes as it explores the information graph. This way the native programming language assumes the role of Data Manipulation Language as well, and Query Language can be simply some optimized data structures wrapped with accessing lib functions, more importantly the database system will have great horizontal scalability. And the whole architecture will have little technical debt as it seems so far.

So how feasible it is that you see? I'm aware that [compact] is still some experimental, and not even portable across GHC compilations yet, but it seems solvable with enough effort put in.

Thanks,
Compl