Newtype over (~#)

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Sun Feb 7 16:41:15 UTC 2021

We do need a separate category, though: otherwise, we could cast by `f x`, where `f` is a non-terminating functions. We erase casts, so the function would never get called. Maybe if we required that casts are always by variables (essentially, A-normalize casts) we could avoid this? But then would we require A-normalization to build coercions from pieces (as opposed to calling functions)? It's unclear.

I think the first versions of this idea didn't require the separate syntactic category, but all work for the past decade has. I think there are other ways, but the way GHC handles this now is somewhat poor, because of #17291.

Richard