How is GHC.Prim.unpackInt8X64# meant to be used?

Ryan Scott ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 09:57:03 UTC 2020

 > Ryan, the comment in GHC.Tuple seems to be misleading today, as
suggested by this SO post:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46412823/why-are-ghc-tuples-limited-to-size-62

> I was going to add it to the comment at some point but was hesitant as I
hadn’t verified the information myself.

For what it's worth, Ben has removed this comment in !4146 [1], where he
increases the maximum tuple size to 64. This is enough to unblock me on
progressing with !4097, so I'm happy. There seems to be a more general
question of whether it makes sense to enforce a size limit at all for
unboxed tuples, but I'll leave that question to people more knowledgeable
than I am.

Ryan S.
-----
[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/4146