GHC Logo

John Cotton Ericson John.Ericson at Obsidian.Systems
Wed Sep 2 16:07:50 UTC 2020

Yeah I think the old "functional programming is slow" memes died off
about when the rest of the industry went on its JavaScript bender, so I
am not really worried about the negative connotations of turtles.

The positive connotations of turtles sounds very good to me. Besides safety,

  *   the longevity of at least giant tortoises also speaks to GHC's
    rare ability to stay at the vanguard of research while still being
    wildly used.
  * Their ability to walk and swim speaks to the diverse backends that
    can be attached to GHC (NCG, LLVM, GHCJS, Asterius, Clash's, etc.).
  * Even the fable, from which the slowness myth comes from I guess,
    goes well with "avoid success at all costs".

Conversely I am not a fan of choosing a Cat. I like Cats fine in real
life, don't get be wrong, but Cats are so popular on the internet that
this would be the the unmarked animal choice, with no clear connotations
or memorability. I think that would be the juvenile choice, per Ben's
slippery slope.

Foxes are nice, but I think Firefox has that for life.

Octopuses are alright. GitHub's Octocat doesn't doesn't pose nearly as
much of a problem as Firefox for foxes. Still, while Octopuses are
smart, they are usually solitary and mischievous. GHC is very much a
long-term group effort, belying the solitary connotation, and I
certainly hope any compiler I use isn't mischievous!

A turtle for a compiler is a bold choice that indicates our values,
confidence that the performance of compiled code is immune to cheap
derision, and humor.

John

P.S. The funny patterns on turtles' backs could be made of lambdas?...

P.P.S. and yes, if it does compel us to fix rampant list appending just
so we're fast on all fronts, that would be nice too :).