GHC Logo

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Sep 2 15:47:45 UTC 2020

Richard Eisenberg <rae at richarde.dev> writes:

> I'm oddly drawn to the idea of a turtle -- except that turtles are
> slow. But animals are cute. Maybe something involving a fox, given
> that foxes can be clever? Octopuses are also known to be very clever,
> but maybe GitHub has octopuses covered.

In general I'm rather neutral on the logo question. There is a fine line
between "juvenile" (which may detract from the project's credibility in
the eyes of some) and "cute" (which I think is universally a Good
Thing); the current rather boring logo was a quick attempt to satisfy
the need for some logo while recognizing that I lack the artistic
ability to walk that line. I don't think it's a bad logo but it's quite
dull and far from being a *good* logo. I do hope someone steps up to do
better.

Logos aside, I do feel the need to correct the record here: you
clearly have not seen how quickly a turtle can move when offered banana
or shrimp. They can be quite quick when suitably incentivized!

Cheers,

- Ben