Getting the inferred types of TH's UnboundVarEs

Sandy Maguire sandy at sandymaguire.me
Wed Mar 18 18:54:00 UTC 2020

I mean if `insert :: a -> Container a -> Container a`, and I call it with
`[e| insert 5 True |]`, the quote will fail.

The goal here is to generate `Fn f` patterns in the property lambda
whenever the `UnboundVarE` is a function. For example, today if I am given
this:

[e| law "length/map" (length as == length (map f as)) |]

the generated code will be

property $ \as f -> length as === length (map f as)

when I would prefer to generate

property $ \as (Fn f) -> length as === length (map f as)

which will have significantly better UX. I'm willing to write a bad
typechecker for `Exp`s, but really hoping I won't have to.

Thanks!