submodule instructions?

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Fri Jan 17 21:15:08 UTC 2020

Richard Eisenberg <rae at richarde.dev> writes:

> Hi devs,
>
> Are there up-to-date instructions on how to deal with submodules in GHC?
>
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules
> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules>
> does give nice information. It refers to
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/repositories
> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/repositories> to learn about
> specific repositories. But is that second page correct? It refers to
> e.g. GitHub as the upstream for Haddock. Will our new GitLab-based CI
> pull from GitHub's Haddock? And what if a contributor doesn't have
> commit access?

Indeed GitHub is still the upstream for Haddock (although I think we
talk to the Haddock maintainers about this).

> Maybe it's all there, but I don't quite see how a contributor can
> ensure that CI has access to patches on submodules.

I have added a bit of language to [submodules] explaining how to
accomplish this. Do let me know if this is still unclear.

Cheers,

- Ben

[submodules]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules