8.8.x change in lookupModule / findModule semantics?

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Wed Feb 26 23:04:14 UTC 2020

Hi,

looking at `importsOnly`:

    #if MIN_VERSION_GLASGOW_HASKELL(8,8,1,0)
      pp <- liftIO $ preprocess sess file Nothing Nothing
      let (dflags, tmp) = case pp of
            Left _ -> error $ "preprocessing failed " <> show file
            Right success -> success
    #else

Since 8.8.1 `preprocess` takes an addition argument of type `Maybe
StringBuffer` that you're setting to `Nothing` here, so the pipeline will
read your on-disk file instead of using the buffer.

The whole point of that change was to allow passing in-memory buffers
straight into the pipeline for tooling so I'm hoping you can use that to
simplify your workarounds, see
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/1014/ for context.

--Daniel