8.8.x change in lookupModule / findModule semantics?

Tseen She ts33n.sh3 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 21:58:31 UTC 2020

Hi ghc-devs,

When upgrading my dev tool to use the 8.8.x api I have found that calls to
lookupModule / findModule are failing on uncompilable code, whereas these
calls succeeded on 8.4 and 8.6.

Unlike another question that I have asked [1] which seems related, I don't
intend to do any typechecking here, I only want access to the ModuleInfo.

Has this been an intentional change? Is there a way to recover the original
behaviour?

If I cannot get this to work then it means that a new feature introduced in
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/1541 that I was quite
excited about is unusable :-(

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2020-February/018655.html