Confused about PAP object layout

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Thu Feb 20 15:21:50 UTC 2020

Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com> writes:

>> I'm not sure what you mean by "garbage". The bitmap merely determines whether
>> a field is a pointer,
>
> I think the bitmap is for liveness, not for whether a field is pointer or not.
> Relevant code for building an info table for a function:
>
>     mk_pieces (Fun arity (ArgGen arg_bits)) srt_label
>       = do { (liveness_lit, liveness_data) <- mkLivenessBits dflags arg_bits
>            ; let fun_type | null liveness_data = aRG_GEN
>                           | otherwise          = aRG_GEN_BIG
>                  extra_bits = [ packIntsCLit dflags fun_type arity ]
>                            ++ (if inlineSRT dflags then [] else [ srt_lit ])
>                            ++ [ liveness_lit, slow_entry ]
>            ; return (Nothing, Nothing, extra_bits, liveness_data) }
>
> This uses the word "liveness" rather than "pointers".
>
> However I just realized that the word "garbage" is still not the best way to
> describe what I'm trying to say. In the example
>
>     [pap_info, x, y, z]
>
> If the function's bitmap is [1, 0, 1], then `y` may be a dead (an unused
> argument, or "garbage" as I describe in my previous email) OR it may be a
> non-pointer, but used (i.e. not a garbage).
>
> So maybe "liveness" is also not the best way to describe this bitmap, as 0 does
> not mean dead but rather "don't follow in GC".

This is indeed my understanding; "not live" in this context really just
means "not a pointer traced by the GC". I agree that "liveness" is a
poor word for it. This is briefly described in a comment in
includes/rts/storage/InfoTables.h.

> [...]
>     }
>
> Here if I have a function with three pointer args (ARG_PPP) the shown branch
> that will be taken, but because the bitmap is 0 (as shown in the mk_pieces code
> above) nothing in the PAPs payload will be scavenged.
>
> Here's an example from a debugging session:
>
>     >>> print pap
>     $10 = (StgPAP *) 0x42001fe030
>
>     >>> print *pap
>     $11 = {
>       header = {
>         info = 0x7fbdd1f06640 <stg_PAP_info>
>       },
>       arity = 2,
>       n_args = 1,
>       fun = 0x7fbdd2d23ffb,
>       payload = 0x42001fe048
>     }
>
> So this PAP is applied one argument, which is a boxed object (a FUN_2_0):
>
>     >>> print *get_itbl(UNTAG_CLOSURE(pap->payload[0]))
>     $20 = {
>       layout = {
>         payload = {
>           ptrs = 2,
>           nptrs = 0
>         },
>         bitmap = 2,
>         large_bitmap_offset = 2,
>         __pad_large_bitmap_offset = 2,
>         selector_offset = 2
>       },
>       type = 11,
>       srt = 1914488,
>       code = 0x7fbdd2b509c0 "H\215E\370L9\370r[I\203\304 M;\245X\003"
>     }
>
> However if I look at the function of this PAP:
>
>     >>> print *get_fun_itbl(UNTAG_CLOSURE(pap->fun))
>     $21 = {
>       f = {
>         slow_apply_offset = 16,
>         __pad_slow_apply_offset = 3135120895,
>         b = {
>           bitmap = 74900193017889,
>           bitmap_offset = 258342945,
>           __pad_bitmap_offset = 258342945
>         },
>         fun_type = 23,
>         arity = 3
>       },
>       i = {
>         layout = {
>           payload = {
>             ptrs = 0,
>             nptrs = 0
>           },
>           bitmap = 0,
>           large_bitmap_offset = 0,
>           __pad_large_bitmap_offset = 0,
>           selector_offset = 0
>         },
>         type = 14,
>         srt = 1916288,
>         code = 0x7fbdd2b50260 <base_GHCziRead_list3_info>
> "I\203\304(M;\245X\003"
>       }
>     }
>
> It has arity 3. Since the first argument is a boxed object and this function has
> arity 3, if the argument is actually live in the function (i.e. not an unused
> argument), then the bitmap should have a 1 for this. But because the argument
> pattern is known (ARG_PPP) we initialized the bitmap as 0! Not sure how this

Note that the meaning of the bit values in the bitmap are slightly
surprising: 0 is pointer, 1 is non-pointer. Consequently, a bitmap of 0
means all fields are pointers.

Does this explain the confusion?

Cheers,

- Ben