ApplicativeDo needs a bit of love

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:41:59 UTC 2020

Folks,

ApplicativeDo does what it does quite well, indeed it's in heavy use doing
what we built it for, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that 12% of
people would even like it to be enabled by default
<https://taylor.fausak.me/2019/11/16/haskell-survey-results/>. But a number
of issues have arisen around it, some stemming from limitations in the
original implementation and others due to interactions with other features
that we didn't consider at the time.

This message is just to point out that I'd be delighted if anyone wanted to
jump on any of these tickets and work on them, as it's unlikely I'll find
the bandwidth to work on them myself. All the tickets are tagged with
ApplicativeDo:

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=ApplicativeDo

Have at it!

Cheers