Hi. I'm new to this mailing list and have a few questions.

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Aug 4 17:58:33 UTC 2020

"Anselm Schüler (conversations subemail)"
<conversation at anselmschueler.com> writes:

> First of all, in general, I’m new to mailing lists (as used for
> discussions) in general, so a question about that:

Hi Anselm,

Welcome to the GHC community. To add to what Richard and Simon have
shared...

> When subscribed to the mailing list, do you get every message, or are
> some discussions hidden?
>

> Second of all, I’d like to know what kinds of messages are appropriate
> here. I’m not familiar with coding compilers or anything of the like,
> so I’m somewhat afraid of offering unhelpful comments or being just
> woefully underqualified to participate here.

You shouldn't worry. We are all learning.

> For example, I have a feature idea in the back of my mind, which I
> imagine would be easy to implement (that might be wrong). Is it
> alright if I submit that here or should I use some other forum?

The answer here depends upon what sort of feature you are thinking of.
As Simon and Richard said, the proposals process [1] exists to hone
proposals to the language and large compiler features.

In the case of a smaller feature of the compiler itself (e.g. a new GHCi
command or GHC API interface), then it can sometimes be useful to either
open an issue or mailing list thread first to help guide your thinking
and help others get a sense for the scale of the change; it's possible
that in this case a proposal isn't necessary.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you would like further guidance.

Cheers,

- Ben