Connecting the Wolfram Language to Haskell

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 30 16:46:43 UTC 2020

Friends

Short summary: can someone familiar with using the GHC API offer advice on getting the Wolfram Language connected to Haskell?

Many of you will know of the Wolfram Language<https://www.wolfram.com/language/>, which is IMHO pretty cool and not well enough known.    There are lots of interesting things about it, but a huge thing is that it's deeply connected to the vast pile of carefully curated data that Wolfram Research has gathered and organised over several decades.

Anyway, they'd like to be able to invoke Haskell code from the Wolfram Language interpreter.   But as you'll see below, they are understandably stumbling on the engineering aspects of doing so.

Rather than spam Stephen Wolfram himself, I'm cc'ing Todd Gayley who is the team lead.  (Hi Todd.)   I'd really appreciate it if some of you could help advise him.  It would be terrific to have a direct connection between Wolfram and Haskell!

Many thanks

Simon