Filtering GitLab mentions

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Sep 24 17:02:30 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

During a discussion on procedural matters earlier today it was (yet
again) noted that GitLab notification emails are quite chatty and
consequently it is easy to lose the signal in the noise.

However, during this discussion we also realized that much of the issue
can be mitigated with a simple email filter to identify explicit
@-mentions. I find that:

  from:gitlab.haskell.org and @bgamari and header:X-GitLab-Discussion-Id

isolates emails arising from @-mentions fairly effetively.

If your MUA doesn't support filtering by arbitrary headers you can
replace the "header" predicate with simply a mention of the word
"commented".

If you are active on GitLab I would encourage you to setup such a
filter; I was surprised by how many comments I had overlooked.

Cheers,

- Ben