New implementation for `ImpredicativeTypes`

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 17:56:35 UTC 2019

Hello Alex,

the issue with your example is not the mapping of `show` but the list
`[1, 'a', "b"]`.  It is not well typed simply because of how lists are
defined.   Remember that `[1, 'a', "b"]` is not really special---it is
just syntactic sugar for `1 : 'a' : "b" : []` and the type of `(:)`
requires the elements to have the same type.

Of course, in principle, one could define a different list type that
allowed values of arbitrary types to be stored in it (e.g., the
example list would be just of type `List`).
The issue is that you can't really use the elements of such a list as
you wouldn't know what type they have.

Yet another option is to define a list type where the "cons" operation
remembers the types of the elements in the type of the constructed
list---at this point the lists become more like tuples (e.g., the
example would be of type `List [Int,Char,String]`).   This is
possible, but then them `map` function would have an interesting
type...

I'd be happy to answer more questions but I don't want to side-track
the thread as all this is quite orthogonal to impredicative types.

-Iavor