Status of the rich errors proposal

Alp Mestanogullari alp at well-typed.com
Tue Oct 29 14:09:31 UTC 2019

Hello Javier,

Ben and I have indeed been thinking about how to improve the situation,
and have been talking to a few fellow Haskellers in the tooling/IDE
space to get a first round of feedback on the ideas that we came up
with. I will soon be writing down a proposal for one of those ideas,
that is likely to work well for everyone (GHC devs, tooling authors and
more generally GHC API consumers).

Once that document is ready and up on github, I wil make sure to send
the link here on ghc-devs at .

On 23/10/2019 08:52, Javier Neira Sanchez wrote:
> Hi, lately i am being collaborated in the haskell-ide-engine (hie)
> repo and one of the issues i get to fix was related with the parsing
> of ghc errors.
> It turns out that delimiters of terms in errors are different in
> windows (`term') and *nix (‘term’) systems and that drive to parse errors.
> Quite code actions and diagnostics are based in parsing them and they
> were broken in windows.
> I am afraid that the code is very brittle and close to human readable
> error messages. the actual code look like this:
>
> -- | Extract a term from a compiler message.
> -- It looks for terms delimited between '‘' and '’' falling back to
> '`' and '\''
> -- (the used ones in Windows systems).
> extractTerm :: T.Text -> T.Text
> extractTerm txt =
>   case extract '‘' '’' txt of
>     ""  -> extract '`' '\'' txt -- Needed for windows
>     term -> term
>   where extract b e = T.dropWhile (== b)
>                     . T.dropWhileEnd (== e)
>                     . T.dropAround (\c -> c /= b && c /= e)
> or
>
> extractImportableTerm :: T.Text -> Maybe (T.Text, SymbolImport SymbolType)
> extractImportableTerm dirtyMsg = do
>   (n, s) <- extractedTerm
>   let n' = T.strip n
>   return (n', s)
>   where
>     importMsg = S.headMay
>       -- Get rid of the rename suggestion parts
>       $ T.splitOn "Perhaps you meant "
>       $ T.replace "\n" " "
>       -- Get rid of trailing/leading whitespace on each individual line
>       $ T.unlines
>       $ map T.strip
>       $ T.lines
>       $ T.replace "* " "" -- Needed for Windows
>       $ T.replace "• " "" dirtyMsg
>     extractTerm prefix symTy =
>       importMsg
>           >>= T.stripPrefix prefix
>           >>= \name -> Just (name, Import symTy)
>     extractType b =
>       extractTerm ("Not in scope: type constructor or class " <> b) Type
>     extractedTerm = asum
>       [ extractTerm "Variable not in scope: " Symbol
>       , extractType "‘"
>       , extractType "`" -- Needed for windows
>       , extractTerm "Data constructor not in scope: " Constructor]
>
> It is clearly unsatisfactory but hard to improve without changing the
> messages to make it more structured.
> Moreover any legitimate change on errors to make it better will likely
> break it.
>
> After exposing my worries in the hie irc channel, @mpickering pointed
> out that it is already a proposal to improve error messages:
>
> https://github.com/bgamari/ghc-proposals/blob/rich-errors-proposal/proposals/0000-rich-errors-proposal.rst
>
> that nicely will improve the state of things.
>
> Otoh there are already a way to output ghc errors as json (see
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/13190). It contains valuable
> info about the error in specific fields but the message itself is in
> [...]

Alp Mestanogullari, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England and Wales, OC335890
118 Wymering Mansions, Wymering Road, London, W9 2NF, England