Proposal: Don't read environment files by default

Bryan Richter b at chreekat.net
Thu Mar 28 13:55:01 UTC 2019

I am +1 on not reading them by default. I dislike implicit configuration
(that's enough reason there), and it interacts poorly with other tools that
use ghc.

Like Richard Eisenberg, I also think of ghc as a low-level utility, but I
recognize that intuition is already wrong in various ways. (ghc is really
quite clever.) For me that's not reason enough to disable this.

The tight coupling with Cabal, however, seems unwise, and implicit
configuration seems like something from the 20th century.

If we want Nix-style builds, let's do them Nix style, and use a shell.