Proposal: Don't read environment files by default

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Thu Mar 28 13:49:48 UTC 2019

I have spent quite a bit of time debugging this issue, being utterly surprised about the existence of these files. Furthermore, until today, I had been unable to find a way to turn the feature off. I now understand (https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/13753) that there is an undocumented mechanism for doing so in GHC. It's still frustrating that there is no similar mechanism to globally (i.e., in ~/.cabal/config) disable these files in cabal.

While I expect "project-based" tools to care about their directory (e.g., git, cabal, stack), I would never expect a compiler (which is intended to be a low-level utility) to do so.

Richard