[ambiguous occurrence bug?]

Shayne Fletcher shayne.fletcher at daml.com
Sun Mar 17 17:50:03 UTC 2019

Sorry in advance if I should be posting questions of this kind elsewhere
(please tell me if so!).

Consider this two file program:
```
module T where
main = undefined

module Main where
import T
main = putStrLn "Hello world!"
```

Both 8.4.3 and 8.6.3 agree:
```
Main.hs:1:1: error:
    Ambiguous occurrence ‘main’
    It could refer to either ‘T.main’,
                             imported from ‘T’ at Main.hs:2:1-8
                             (and originally defined at Main.hs:2:1-4)
                          or ‘Main.main’, defined at Main.hs:5:1
```

Is this expected behavior? Does it not contradict "If the export list is
omitted, all values, types and classes defined in the module are exported,
but not those that are imported" (
https://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/haskell2010/haskellch5.html)? If the
latter, is this a bug? What am I missing?

--
Shayne Fletcher
Language Engineer
e: shayne.fletcher at daml.com
Digital Asset Holdings, LLC
4 World Trade Center                                                        150
Greenwich Street, 47th Floor
<https://maps.google.com/?q=150+Greenwich+Street,+47th+Floor%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+New+York,+NY+10007,+USA&entry=gmail&source=g>
New York, NY 10007, USA
digitalasset.com <http://www.digitalasset.com/>

--
This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only,
may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary