github ghc.git broken on libraries/binary

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Mar 14 21:05:02 UTC 2019

Shayne Fletcher via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> I'm between a rock and a hard place here. I appreciate gitlab hosts the
> official upstream (and at work use it extensively). We do however also
> maintain a fork of the github mirror on github (rightly or wrongly) and its
> existence and correctness is critical to some of our workflows.

Hi Shayne,

I have been working to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, the process has
been complicated by the fact that GitHub has flagged our mirror account
as a bot and the credentials of an older mirror account have been lost
to history. I am engaging with GitHub to resolve this but this has taken
longer than expected. I will leave updates on the tracking ticket [1] as
the situation develops.

In the meantime I have manually updated these GitHub mirror
repositories. I will try to do this on a daily basis until the situation
is resolved.

> So, beyond this issue today which I assume to be temporary, going
> forward can I assume no guarantees about its reliability and do I have
> to advocate rejigging those aforementioned workflows so that github is
> out of the picture?

In general the mirror is maintained and we have no intention of dropping
it. However, in the last week other responsibilities, coupled with the
latency of working with GitHub support, has meant that bringing it back
online has taken longer than I would have preferred. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

However, do keep in mind that even when working normally the GitHub
mirror has a synchronization period of 20 minutes; if your systems
depend upon having a consistent picture of the GHC repositories then
you might consider using the official upstream.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/bgamari/gitlab-migration/issues/11