git clone https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc.git on travis doesn't work

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 01:53:33 UTC 2019

I just encountered this when doing a "git pull" on my Ubuntu 18.04.1 machine:

> fatal: unable to access 'https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

Chrome also believes that the certificate of
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc is invalid and I have to click the
"Proceed to ... (unsafe)" link.  Chrome's certificate viewer shows
that the certificate is for "gitlab.staging.haskell.org" whereas the
domain is "gitlab.haskell.org", so I'm guessing that's the problem.
I'm not very experienced with such cert stuff, but  perhaps a wildcard
cert like "*.haskell.org" could allow using the same cert regardless
of whether it's on staging vs prod.

For now I've just done "git config --global http.sslverify false"
temporarily to do the pull.  Perhaps this is Shayne Fletcher's cheeky
workaround? :)

-Michael