[GHC] #16348: GHC HEAD regression: tyConAppArgs

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Mar 6 10:54:14 UTC 2019

On March 6, 2019 2:06:25 AM EST, Bryan Richter <b at chreekat.net> wrote:
>Ben wrote:
>>  Unfortunately a mention of a ticket from a commit does not produce
>a notification email. This is in my opinion a rather serious issue that
>we will need to work around since it makes closing tickets after merge
>far
>more painful than necessary.
>
>Is there something in the GHC workflow that precludes the normal Gitlab
>behavior of automatically closing issues after a merge? There just
>needs to
>be a commit message or MR description with the words "Closes #xxx" [1].
>
>Or perhaps you were talking specifically about Trac?
>
>I'm just spectating this from a distance so might have misunderstood
>the
>problem.
>
>[1]: Full details at
>https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/issues/closing_issues.html#via-merge-request

The problem is that you very often want to review the ticket before closing it. There might be several reasons for this:

 - You might believe that your commit closes the ticket but perhaps there is a facet of the problem that you are forgetting

 - You might want to write a final summary of the solution

 - Perhaps there is an additional refactoring that you thought of while writing your patch that you would like to open a new ticket to track.

- Maybe you just want to mark the patch to be back ported to the stable branch.

The general theme here is that looking over the ticket one last time before closing is a helpful practice that allows us to catch problems early and keep our issue tracker tidy. It would be quite unfortunate to lose this ability.

Cheers,

- Ben