Cloning

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 25 08:52:15 UTC 2019

What is the right procedure for cloning from someone else's repo.
For example, I wanted to see what was going wrong for Tobias in #16615, so after some detective work I tried
git clone --recursive git at gitlab.haskell.org:tdammers/ghc.git tdammers
but I got lots of errors:

Cloning into '/home/simonpj/code/tdammers/libffi-tarballs'...

setsockopt IPV6_TCLASS 8: Operation not permitted:

> GitLab: The project you were looking for could not be found.

and the repository exists.

fatal: clone of 'git at gitlab.haskell.org:tdammers/libffi-tarballs.git' into submodule path '/home/simonpj/code/tdammers/libffi-tarballs' failed

Failed to clone 'libffi-tarballs'. Retry scheduled

Cloning into '/home/simonpj/code/tdammers/libraries/Cabal'...

setsockopt IPV6_TCLASS 8: Operation not permitted:

> GitLab: The project you were looking for could not be found.

and the repository exists.

fatal: clone of 'git at gitlab.haskell.org:tdammers/packages/Cabal.git' into submodule path
etc etc.
So:

  *   What is a reliable way to get a MR onto my machine to test?
  *   If I make a fix, what is the workflow to push that fix back to the author -- presumably I can't push to their repo?
Thanks