a better workflow?

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:57:18 UTC 2019

I found that git worktree works rather well, even with submodules (well,
mostly. Even if it doesn't for some reason, you can still update and init
the submodules manually, losing sharing in the process).
See https://stackoverflow.com/a/31872051, in particular the GitHub links to
`wtas` alias.

I mostly do this:

$ cd ~/code/hs/ghc
$ cd pristine
$ git wtas ../pmcheck

and mostly just hack away. From time to time I seem to have issues because
of confused submodule references, but as I said above doing a `git
submodule update --init --recursive` fixes that. Cloning the root GHC
checkout is the most time-consuming step, after all.

Also I'm currently in the rather comfortable situation of having an 8 core
azure VM just for GHC dev, which is pretty amazing. Doing the same as Ben
here: Having a tmux open with one (or more) tab per checkout I'm working on
in parallel. VSCode is my editor of choice and seamlessly picks up any SSH
connection I throw at it. Can highly recommend that when you're on a rather
weak machine like a laptop or convertible.