gitlab sometimes slow

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Wed Jul 17 18:19:18 UTC 2019

As it turns out, it was the wiki that directly inspired this post. But I had noticed the problem previously and wanted to say this for some time.

Yes, I should have clarified that I expect the charge to be recurring; pretend those figures are all per-year. If the problem is the gitlab implementation, and not our server power, then I agree there is no way for us to fix things.

Richard

> On Jul 17, 2019, at 11:49 AM, Matthew Pickering <matthewtpickering at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are you particularly noticing this on the wiki? That is known to be
> slow as the implementation is quite hacky.
>
> If you want to experience some real slowness, try browsing gitlab.com!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt
>
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I rather suspect it'd be more like "per some period" than a one-time fee, and "$100/month" is rather harder than "$100".
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:20 AM Richard Eisenberg <rae at richarde.dev> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> GitLab is sometimes a bit slow. I understand we host this ourselves, and faster is more expensive. My question: how much more expensive? That is, if we throw $100 at the problem, will gitlab be speedy? Will it take $1,000? $10,000? If it's the first one, then let's just blast ahead. If it's not, perhaps knowing what it would take would either help me accept the status quo (I know that every time my page loads slowly, the Haskell community has saved several dollars) or we could contemplate chipping in somehow.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Richard