[GitLab] Introducing Marge-bot

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sat Jan 26 20:53:55 UTC 2019

Phyx <lonetiger at gmail.com> writes:

>> I also don't think one should be allowed to approve their own
>> PR. If it is trivial enough to justify a self-accept then someone else
>> should also be able to trivially accept it.
>
> I disagree whole heartedly, as someone who's had to wait weeks for trivial
> patches to get reviews no thanks.
> We should have a  formal definition of what is allowed to get committed as
> trivial much like a lot of open source
> projects do and go from there.
>
> I prefer a practical workflow, not just one that works for areas of the
> compiler where you have many people working,
> It's a very frustrating experience otherwise.

I tend to agree. If someone has commit rights then I generally trust
their judgement when it comes to trivial patches. That being said, we
should indeed offer more guidance regarding what constitutes "trivial".

We currently have a lack of reviewers and I don't want this lack to
become a reason why those contributors we do have might be driven
away.

Cheers,

- Ben