[GitLab] Introducing Marge-bot

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Jan 22 20:31:27 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

As you might have noticed there is a new face on GitLab: Meet
@marge-bot.

Marge will be helping us with the pain of merging merge requests:
Currently the typical workflow to merge an accepted MR involves the
following:

 1. Rebase the MR on top of the current `master` branch
 2. Click on the "Merge when pipeline succeeds" button
 3. Wait.
 4. If another MR is merged before yours, return to step (1)

Given the volume of patches that we have, this process gets tiresome
quite quickly. Upstream knows [1] about this issue and is actively
working towards a solution which will likely be ready in a few months.

In the meantime, Marge automates this currently-manual process. With
Marge merging a patch involves just two steps:

 1. Ensure that the MR has at least one approval. This should happen in
    the course of normal review but ping @bgamari, @alpmestan, @osa1, or
    @tdammers if this was forgotten.

 2. Use the "Assignee" field in the sidebar on the right side of the MR
    to assign it to @marge-bot.

Once Marge notices your MR she will dutifully watch over it, rebasing it
as necessary until it is merged. If something goes awry, she will leave
a (hopefully) helpful message and assign the MR back to you.

So far Marge has been working out reasonably well and seems to be an
improvement over the status quo. However, she still has some quirks so
let me know if you think she is behaving erratically or otherwise have
questions.

Cheers,

- Ben