Gitlab notes

Alec Theriault alec.theriault at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:10:48 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Could someone sketch out somewhere roughly what the steps are two getting something merged on Gitlab?
Here’s my current understanding:

1. You’ve implemented something and open a MR, CI starts running
2. Looking both at passing CI and at your code, someone with commit bits eventually decides to accept the MR
3. You rebase onto latest master (since we want a linear git history)
4. CI passes again, and your MR ends up in master

However, if someone else finishes step 4 after you start step 3, you’ll need to rebase again (and CI needs to run again), right?
IIRC, Rust solves this with a merge queue (where CI rebases and tests each dequeued PRs, one at a time, merging into master only on successful CI).

I’m all a bit muddled and I’d prefer not to waste the very helpful CI resources. How are things supposed to work?

Thanks,

Alec