Newcomers' Guide to GHC Development

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Feb 28 11:43:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

I've just gone through the document, I have few comments:

- The dependencies instruction are too complex and long-winded. I'd start
by: if you are a nix user, use <Alp's nix derivation>, otherwise you need
<all this> installed [in particular, no sectioning of the dependencies!],
see <the relevant place> to find instruction for your particular system.
- The considerations about gitlab are mostly trivial and distract from the
point (at this point we're trying to build GHC): simply give a git clone
instruction from the main repository. (also highlight the fact that there
is a `--recursive`, it's easily missed, and give the `git submodule update
--init` back up in case it was forgotten, maybe?)
- Scrap the section called A note on Hadrian. It will just come up as
scary. The further reading section is sufficient to point to Hadrian issues
- devel2 is a good default flavour, but, when it comes up, you should also
include a link to a documentation that says: want to do X -> use flavour Y
- The idiom/stages seems to be a dead link, but maybe it'll work when this
document is transferred to the wiki?
- `git clean` is not sufficient to get to a pristine state, you need `git
clean -xdf && git submodule foreach 'git clean -xdf'`. It's probably even
better to just give the following one-liner: `git clean -xdf && git
submodule foreach 'git clean -xdf' && git submodule update --init`. Maybe
even even better, build.hs could have an option to call this one-liner?

/Arnaud