Validate has died

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 18 13:27:14 UTC 2019

>From master I'm getting 2052 "framework failures" in the testsuite, which all look like the one below.
I also get 4468 expected passes, so not every test fails.
This is with "sh validate". Yes I know I should get onto Hadrian, and I have a branch for that.  But Hadrian isn't really working for me because it's putting build artefacts in my source tree rather than in my build tree (talking to Andrey about that).
But I think that old 'validate' is still supposed to work, isn't it?  I'm a bit stuck
Thanks
Simon

Unexpected results from:

TEST="AmapCoerce ArithInt16 ArithInt8 ArithWord16 ArithWord8 AtomicPrimops BinaryArray BinaryLiterals0 BinaryLiterals1 BinaryLiterals2 CPRRepeat CPUTime001 CallArity1 Capi_Ctype_001 Capi_Ctype_002 CarryOverflow CgStaticPointers CgStaticPointersNoFullLazyness Chan002 Chan003 CmmSwitchTest64 CmpInt16 CmpInt8 CmpWord16 CmpWord8 CopySmallArray Defer01 Defer02 DeriveNullTermination DocsInHiFile0 DocsInHiFile1 DsLambdaCase DsMultiWayIf DsStaticPointers DsStrict DsStrictData DsStrictFail DsStrictLet EvalTest EventlogOutput1 EventlogOutput2 FloatFnInverses Freeman GEq1 GEq2 GFullyStrict GFunctor1 GHCiWildcardKind GMap1 GMapAssoc GMapTop GShow1 GUniplate1 GcStaticPointers GenNewtype GhciCurDir GhciKinds HexFloatLiterals HooplPostorder IOError001 IOError002 IndT... etc...

snip of a typical error

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['git', 'rev-parse', 'HEAD']' returned non-zero exit status 128

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/home/simonpj/code/HEAD-4/testsuite/driver/testlib.py", line 840, in test_common_work

    do_test(name, way, func, args, files)

  File "/home/simonpj/code/HEAD-4/testsuite/driver/testlib.py", line 928, in do_test

    result = func(*[name,way] + args)

  File "/home/simonpj/code/HEAD-4/testsuite/driver/testlib.py", line 1019, in makefile_test

    return run_command(name, way, cmd)

  File "/home/simonpj/code/HEAD-4/testsuite/driver/testlib.py", line 1012, in run_command

    return simple_run( name, '', override_options(cmd), '' )

  File "/home/simonpj/code/HEAD-4/testsuite/driver/testlib.py", line 1396, in simple_run

    return check_stats(name, way, stats_file, opts.stats_range_fields)

  File "/home/simonpj/code/HEAD-4/testsuite/driver/testlib.py", line 1185, in check_stats

    head_commit = Perf.commit_hash('HEAD')

  File "/home/simonpj/code/HEAD-4/testsuite/driver/perf_notes.py", line 92, in commit_hash

    stderr=subprocess.STDOUT) \

  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/subprocess.py", line 626, in check_output

    **kwargs).stdout

  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/subprocess.py", line 708, in run

    output=stdout, stderr=stderr)