GitLab forks and submodules

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 05:35:02 UTC 2019

Sorry for reviving this thread, but this is causing so much trouble for me. I
want a fresh clone of a GHC fork. If I clone the fork it doesn't work for
reasons mentioned in this thread, however I just realized that it doesn't work
even if I fork gitlab/ghc/ghc and then add the fork as a new remote. Here's what
I do:

- Clone gitlab/ghc/ghc ("origin")
- Add gitlab/fork/ghc ("fork", the fork I want to build)
- git fetch --all
- git checkout fork/branch
- git submodule update --init

For whatever reason git tries to fetch submodules from "fork" instead of
"origin", and I couldn't find any way to tell git to use "origin" for submodule
instead. `git submodule sync` does not fix it. I also tried pulling submodules
before switching to the fork's branch, thinking that maybe if I initialize
submodules with the correct remote when I switch branches it'd fetch them from
there. The only way I could make this work is by replacing all relative URLs
with absolute URLs with this

    :%s/\.\./https:\/\/gitlab.haskell.org\/ghc/g

The argument for relative submodules doesn't make sense to me. Is updating a
submodule remote so hard that we want to make it easy at the cost of making lots
of other tasks so much harder? To me it makes sense that if you want to work on
a submodule you need to update its remote to your fork.

Ömer