Commit comments - call for opinions

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sat Feb 9 00:04:27 UTC 2019

Matthew Pickering <matthewtpickering at gmail.com> writes:

> I am in favor of option b) as it fits in better with the "gitlab way
> of things". If we are to use gitlab then we should use it as it's most
> intended rather than trying to retrofit trac practices which have
> accrued over many years.
>
> Adding commits as comments is just a hack in trac to work around
> missing native support for the fundamental operation of linking a
> commit to.

Well, I'm not sure that's *entirely* true.

> I don't really see that it is much more inconvenient to click on a
> link to see the commit, the hash can be hovered over to see the commit
> title.

I can see Simon's point here; Trac tickets generally tell a story,
consisting of both comments as well as commit messages. It's not clear
to me why the content of the former should be more visible than that of
the latter. They both tell equally-important parts of the story.

Cheers,

- Ben