[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.1-alpha2 released
ben at well-typed.com
Wed Dec 11 18:27:50 UTC 2019
The GHC team is happy to announce the availability of the first alpha
release in the GHC 8.10 series. Source and binary distributions are
available at the usual place:
GHC 8.10.1 will bring a number of new features including:
* The new UnliftedNewtypes extension allowing newtypes around unlifted
* The new StandaloneKindSignatures extension allows users to give
top-level kind signatures to type, type family, and class
* A new warning, -Wderiving-defaults, to draw attention to ambiguous
* A number of improvements in code generation, including changes
* A new GHCi command, :instances, for listing the class instances
available for a type.
* An upgraded Windows toolchain lifting the MAX_PATH limitation
* A new, low-latency garbage collector.
* Improved support profiling, including support for sending profiler
samples to the eventlog, allowing correlation between the profile and
other program events
This release is the second alpha of the 8.10 pre-release cycle. The
release will be a release candidate in roughly three weeks. If all goes
well the final release will be cut roughly two weeks after the
candidate, in mid-January.
This being an alpha release, there are a few issues that are still
* The new Alpine Linux binary distribution is not present due to an
apparent correctness issue ; any help Alpine users can offer here
would be greatly appreciated.
* We have yet to sort out compliance with Apple's notarization
requirements  which will be likely be necessary for users of
However, until this has been sorted out Catalina users can exempt the
current macOS binary distribution from the notarization requirement
themselves by running `xattr -cr .` on the unpacked tree before
running `make install`.
* There is one remaining non-regression correctness issue which we plan
to fix for the final 8.10.1 but that is not fixed in this release.
Please do test this release and let us know if you encounter any other
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 487 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the ghc-devs