re-engineering overloading and rebindable syntax

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 5 10:09:37 UTC 2019

Sounds attractive.  By all means open a ticket, giving details.  I'm hazy about those details.  I think you are implying that every single piece of rebindable syntax can be typechecked by instead typechecking some (invisible) function application. Including when you are not using rebindable syntax: just use a built-in function.

I think that's the way rebindable syntax mostly works today, but I'm not 100% sure that the vanilla (no -XRebindableSyntax) case is always done that way.   One way to get at this would be to write a table of all the cases where rebindable syntax is used, and what the equivalent function application or typing judgement is.  That would be helpful regardless!

Examples of where the error message gets worse, and why, would help to focus the conversation.

Simon