Losing (parallel) sleep over module dependencies

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 09:17:09 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I get worried quite often about the interaction of two facts

1. Adding a new dependency to a module is easy.
2. Adding a new dependency changes the build graph and potentially
reduces the amount of parallelism which the build is capable of.

Has anyone thought of any strategies to analyse the dependency graph
of GHC so that a linter can be
created to warn against any changes which create dependencies which
affect the parallelism?

hs-boot files make this issue even worse I think but I'm not sure of
the precise recompilation semantics.

It would be quite straight forward to index ghc as it is being built
to create a dependency graph (at the identifier) level but it's
unclear to me whether it is possible to do anything productive with
this information.

Cheers,

Matt