GHC label conventions

Phyx lonetiger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 18:23:24 UTC 2019

Hi Ben,

> I consider Linux/x86-64 to be the default; e.g. if there a ticket isn't
> labelled with one of the operating system labels then it should be
> assumed that either the issue is OS-independent or it's Linux. This is a
> compromise but given that we need to assign labels manually, it didn't
> seem like manually labelling all Linux tickets was worth the effort.
> Also, once !653 lands issue authors will be prompted for their operating
> system in the issue description.

That's fair, I had thought this might be the case, but have you considered
that you also
lose the ability to filter using an inclusion filter then? To get list of
x86 only Linux you would have
exclude all competing tags then (if possible).

But this also introduce an ambiguity, there's no way to say for instance
that an issue effects Linux and
Windows for instance as you would just have the Windows tag.

> > 2. The ARM one is that Arm (e.g. pre AArch32) or just all Arm
> > architectures? (I see no AArch64) either.
>
> ARM refers to all ARM architectures. I'll update the description to be
> more clear on this.
>
> > Is this because we didn't have a label for them in trac?
> >
> Pretty much.
>
> > 3. Slightly unrelated, on Phabricator I used to have a customized side
> bar
> > with helpful links such as this one. Can I do the same on GitLab?
> >
> I'm afraid the answer may be "no". I have this page in my browser's
> bookmarks list. I suppose we could add it to _sidebar [1], which is
> displayed in the sidebar on the right side of the screen when viewing
> the wiki; however this seems like a bit of a slippery slope as it isn't
> really a top-level page.

Ah ok, was just checking, I can do a local plugin instead.

Thanks,
Tamar