nofib oldest GHC to support?

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 08:04:57 UTC 2018

We currently claim to support GOFER and GHC 4.02! Surely we can drop some of
those support.

I just tried booting nofib with GHC 7.10.3 and it failed. We don't even support
7.10.3, but we still have code to support ... 4.02!

The desire to cleanup is not because removing code is fun, it's because it
makes it easier to maintain. Currently I need to parse another variant of `+RTS
-t` output, and I have to deal with this mess for it:

https://github.com/ghc/nofib/blob/a80baacfc29cc2e7ed50e94f3cd2648d11b1d7d5/nofib-analyse/Slurp.hs#L153-L207

(note that all of these need to be updated to add one more field)

If we decide on what versions to support we could remove most of those (I doubt
`+RTS -t` output changes too much, so maybe we can even remove all but one).

There are also other code with CPP macros for GOFER etc.

I suggest supporting HEAD + 3 major releases. In this plan currently we should
be able to run nofib with GHC HEAD, 8.6, 8.4, and 8.2. Then setting up a CI to
test nofib with these configurations should be trivial (except for GHC HEAD
maybe, I don't know if we're publishing GHC HEAD bindists for CI servers to
use).

Ömer
Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>, 1 Eki 2018 Pzt, 03:33