[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1 released

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Mar 8 21:47:01 UTC 2018

Matthias Kilian <kili at outback.escape.de> writes:

> [including only the ghc-devs list in this reply]
>
> Hi,

Hi,

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 11:57:45AM -0500, Ben Gamari wrote:
>>  * While we typically strive to produce OpenBSD builds, the gcc shipped
>>    with OpenBSD 6.1 is unfortunately too old to compile this release.
>
> Well, OpenBSD 6.1 is almost dead, 6.2 is the stable release at the
> moment, and 6.3 will probably be released in about two months. For
> 6.2 the default C compiler is clang-4.0.0, for 6.3, it will be at
> least clang-5.0.1 (at least on i386 and amd64 platforms).
>
> So, providing ghc binaries for 6.1 at all would be mostly pointless,
> anyway (there will be no support for 6.1 from the moment 6.3 has
> been released).

Thanks for the clarification! This is very helpful.

> ps: whoever is doing binary releases of ghc for OpenBSD (I only
> know about Karel Gardas pushing patches from our ports tree from
> time to time) could use a newer gcc or clang from ports/packages
> if it helps. Of course, if time permits (and as the defacto maintainer
> of lang/ghc on OpenBSD I know how time consuming this can be ;-))

Indeed that is me. There is a bit more to the story of why we have no
OpenBSD builds: In short, I don't actually have a machine running
OpenBSD. Usually I spin up a virtual machine locally to produce
distributions for distributions which I don't myself run. However, this
time I had quite some trouble bringing up an OpenBSD VM (the
installation image appeared to hang shortly after booting when running
on QEmu/kvm on both Intel and AMD hardware).

Lacking any way to produce a build locally, I turned to AWS, which only
has an AMI for OpenBSD 6.1.

Cheers,

- Ben