[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1 released

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Thu Mar 8 20:05:02 UTC 2018

[including only the ghc-devs list in this reply]

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 11:57:45AM -0500, Ben Gamari wrote:
>  * While we typically strive to produce OpenBSD builds, the gcc shipped
>    with OpenBSD 6.1 is unfortunately too old to compile this release.

Well, OpenBSD 6.1 is almost dead, 6.2 is the stable release at the
moment, and 6.3 will probably be released in about two months. For
6.2 the default C compiler is clang-4.0.0, for 6.3, it will be at
least clang-5.0.1 (at least on i386 and amd64 platforms).

So, providing ghc binaries for 6.1 at all would be mostly pointless,
anyway (there will be no support for 6.1 from the moment 6.3 has
been released).

Ciao,
	Kili

ps: whoever is doing binary releases of ghc for OpenBSD (I only
know about Karel Gardas pushing patches from our ports tree from
time to time) could use a newer gcc or clang from ports/packages
if it helps. Of course, if time permits (and as the defacto maintainer
of lang/ghc on OpenBSD I know how time consuming this can be ;-))